My very own garden beagle

My very own garden beagle
Some people have gnomes... I have beagles

Monday 1 October 2012

My mulch brings all the worms to the yard!

I've been working so hard in the garden over the past week, I've not had time to update you all with the progress shots... so here's what's been happening at the Pink Flamingo (that's the nickname we've given our new house. Our previous house was known as Margaritaville, so we're sticking with the Vegas theme).
Firstly we filled it up with soil... and ran the drip lines:


Then I spent a morning putting the lupin mulch on the soil. This stuff is fantastic... it matts down better than pea straw, which tends to blow around a bit. And it will attract every worm in a 2 kilometre radius to your garden! (Shout out here to GM for the awesome title to this post)


I planted my first batch of seeds on Wednesday... by Saturday the first lot were up. Rocket of course wins the race... followed closely by the red kale and radish seeds. I'll keep you posted when the rest make an appearance.

Here I cheated and bought some seedlings. I can never be bothered raising my tomatoes from seed. I planted a couple of Grosse Lisse. I'm hoping to get my hands on some some Tommy Toe or Sweet Bite cherry tomatoes... and i might even try my hand at some of the heritage black tomatoes, just for some extra colour on the dinner plate!

And finally... the fruit trees went in! About six years from now... I might be able to harvest my first avocado! We planted a Hass and a Fuerte, so they can cross pollinate, along with a Satsuma and a Mariposa plum. The plums went into one hole... according to the people from the fruit tree nursery, this helps them cross pollinate as well as keeping the trees a little bit smaller.
We also put in a valencia orange tree... I can't wait to have a glass of freshly picked and squeezed orange juice for breakfast one day. And finally we put in a Black Genoa fig. Yum. Fig trees start producing very early.

No comments:

Post a Comment