My very own garden beagle

My very own garden beagle
Some people have gnomes... I have beagles

Wednesday 31 October 2012

The first harvest

I just wanted to give you a look at how the garden is coming along... everything is growing and we've already had our first harvests! Those are zucchini in the foreground; in the bottom right corner is my corn field; herbs in the middle; the patch of green on the left is a mix of things... including my bush beans. They are just about to flower. And up the back are the tomatoes.


The zucchini are about to fruit like mad. The average household only needs about two zucchini plants, but I got a bit excited and planted four. One way to ensure you don't have too much zucchini is to pick them when they're still flowering. Tonight we harvested half a dozen zucchini flowers and had them for dinner:

Here's the recipe:

Stuffed zucchini flowers
 
Wash the flowers gently, leaving the baby zucchini attached. Slice the zucchini end lengthwise.
Stuff the flower with a mixture of ricotta, crushed garlic, parmesan, capers, chopped parsley (from the garden) and a grind of pepper.
Dip them in beaten egg, then dust them in flour and shallow fry until golden. Serve immediately.
They are really delicious!

I was also excited a few nights ago when we used a pile of fresh coriander, mint, Thai basil and radish from the garden to make these rice paper rolls:

 
Just a month to go until I get to use my own chillies, cucumber and carrot to make these!

1 comment:

  1. You might like some galangal or perhaps kaffir lime leaves to go with that? :)

    ReplyDelete