My very own garden beagle

My very own garden beagle
Some people have gnomes... I have beagles

Saturday 6 October 2012

Pamela and the Beanstalk

Seeds always amaze me. Particularly bean seeds. The rocket is always the first out of the ground, of course, coming up within three days sometimes, true to its name. Beans take a little longer, but when they do pop their little heads out of the soil, and unfurl their seed leaves, I marvel at how much material they can store in a dry, shrivelled seed. Here are some of my bush bean seeds that sprouted this week: 
 
 
Where do they hide those leaves inside a tiny seed?
 
My bare patch of soil is no longer bare at last. Below you can see more seeds bravely showing themselves. Apart from the bush beans and rocket, I have carrots (orange and purple), radish (they grow so quickly, we'll be eating them in salad in a month), lettuce of all different sorts, red kale, spinach, beetroot and cucumbers, among other things. Give it another week or two and this bed will be a sea of green foliage!

I admit I find this time of the year when everything is sprouting so exciting. I can be seen wandering around the garden with my cup of tea, bending down examining what to some people may look like mulch... but I can see the tiny seeds coming up through the mulch and get a small thrill each time something new appears. Ahhh... Spring!

No comments:

Post a Comment