My very own garden beagle

My very own garden beagle
Some people have gnomes... I have beagles

Sunday 7 October 2012

Herbivores

One of the most exciting things about our new garden is the herb patch. Summer isn't the same without handfuls of freshly-picked basil in our meals. It hurts me to have to buy the soggy, limp sprigs of herbs wrapped in plastic from the green grocer, when I know how different and delicious fresh herbs are. So here's the herb patch:


I do have a rule with herbs. I don't plant things I don't eat. That's just a waste of space. Here I have my favourites growing... basil (of course), coriander (I hope), garlic and onion chives, parsley, chervil, oregano, lemongrass, tarragon and chillies. I have a wonderful colleague I often go to for gardening advice who has been leaving gifts on my office desk. I'll often arrive at work to find a pot of mint, or thyme or lavender seedlings for my garden. Last week she passed on some Thai basil seedlings, that went straight into the herb patch. The mint is a special case. There are sometimes you can't grow enough, so I've planted some in pots and I dug the sand out of a patch by the side of my house and replaced it with the amazing soil and planted the mint there where it can get plenty of water... and it can't escape and invade the rest of the garden. We're looking forward to mojitos this summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment