My very own garden beagle

My very own garden beagle
Some people have gnomes... I have beagles

Tuesday 16 October 2012

Strawberry fields forever

Have a look at this fantastic vertical garden designed and built by a friend of mine:

I always enjoy having a chat in the office with Aran about sustainable gardening and he has great ideas to share. When he showed me photos of this strawberry wall, I had to share it with you. Aran used recycled jarrah wall joists, that he milled himself. He says the slats are attached to metal support poles that are cemented into the ground. He and his lovely partner got inspiration for using the different width slats from a picture they'd seen in a magazine of an outdoor shower.

Aran says they decided to make a vertical garden for several reasons... one to hide their shed. The wall is north facing and being vertical it increases their growing space. They have planted heirloom varieties of strawberries in the baskets and Aran says he is adding another rung to the top, where they will plant dwarf rockmelons, which can then spread across the roof of the shed. Doesn't it look beautiful?!



No comments:

Post a Comment