My very own garden beagle

My very own garden beagle
Some people have gnomes... I have beagles

Tuesday 9 April 2013

In the meantime...

While I'm waiting around urging my vegetables to grow to be ready for the television show, I started another project in the garden. About a month ago, my wonderful and knowledgeable colleague Jenny invited me around for lunch so she would give me some cuttings of her frangipani trees. She had read about my frangipani envy and has several frangipanis worth envying in her backyard! Here's me with one of my cuttings:


I let the cuttings dry out for a month, leant up against a fence in the shade, while we prepared a new garden bed for them. In the front yard we had a mass of aloes... which prickled the back of your head when you were sitting around the outdoor table and appeared to be the perfect breeding spot for red-backed spiders. And snails. My husband hates them. So he took his chainsaw to them, cut them down and ripped them out. Here's my action man:


It wasn't until the aloes were gone, did we realise just how big that garden bed was. We planted the frangipani cuttings in the bed and are now hoping for the best. Again, I'm trying to cheat a bit, by getting a big cutting, I can have a small tree already and don't have to wait for it to grow. The flamingo looks happy beneath the tree and adds a festive air to the place:



Of course, I planted the whole bed out with mustard seed as well, just in case that darned root knot nematode has made a home in this soil as well. You can't be too careful!

No comments:

Post a Comment