My very own garden beagle

My very own garden beagle
Some people have gnomes... I have beagles

Wednesday 17 April 2013

Did the camera man make my garden look good...?

As someone who works in television, I'm used to cameras. And I'm very good at interviews. The problem is I'm used to being the one who asks the questions. So when the Garden Gurus came around to interview me about my garden, I was not prepared for how strange it would be answering questions!
 
The Gurus have filmed my meagre kitchen garden. I can confidently say I've never spent so much time in the garden trying not to get dirty or let my makeup sweat off.
 
No sooner was I telling the lovely presenter Susannah Wilson about what a beautiful neighbourhood we live in, the neighbourhood turned out to see what all the fuss was about. I guess not every one has a whole film crew in the front yard every day.
 
I'm hoping my wonderful Italian neighbour makes the final cut, I mentioned what a wonderful guide she'd been to me in the garden and then she turned up, so they roped her in to being filmed.
 
Here are Susannah and I hard at work, discussing gardening:
 

The poor garden was so bare, despite my best efforts to cheat and I swear that in the days since the segment was filmed, my garden actually decided to grow. It now looks quite abundant, the tomatoes are tall, and covered in flowers, we're eating the salad greens that just look like weeds in the picture above!
 
Like I said, it was very strange being the interviewee, so I expect I will look very, very uncomfortable when the show airs... but you can judge for yourself! Wherever you are in Australia, tune in to the Garden Gurus THIS weekend! And for those readers living overseas, don't feel left out, you can go online and watch the show.

I feel a little bit out of my league after seeing the Guru's latest show, where Susannah interviewed a couple living in a beautiful multi-million dollar house with a garden that would have cost just as much. How can I follow that sort of luxury in my little vege patch?! ...but that couple did say "The gardeners say they really love working in our garden."

At least I do my own gardening!

4 comments:

  1. I caught the show yesterday (sat 20/4) for the firdt time and loved it. After seeing your garden I was so inspired that I'm planning my own garden (for after I finally get the ex to move out) thank you for sharing your wonderful garden.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Pamela, caught the show today. I was quite interested in the nematodes as I've never seen any. Sorry you had to go through that. I love your blog, and I was hoping to follow it but can't find how to do that. I also have a garden blog that I've just started. I find it quite satisfying to keep this kind of diary. If you're interested check out trowelanddibbler.weebly.com Thanks for a great read. Happy Gardening. Leah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Leah, thank you for your message. You can now follow the blog. I've added a new feature on the blog, you can now enter your email adress to get a notification when there's a new blog post.
      I'd heard and read a lot about the nematodes, but never thought they'd be a problem I'd encounter. I always crop rotate and keep the soil full of compost, but still they moved in. I'm hoping they won't stay around for too long, I've heard of people having to plant the marigold or mustard for three years. I'm trying to stay productive in someof the less-affected beds, so have planted out my winter vege with rows of mustard in between, to stay on the safe side. Thanks for the invite to read your blog!
      Pamela

      Delete
  3. Hi Scout Mum!

    Thanks for your message. I'm so pleased you were inspired by my garden! I think you will really enjoy growing and eating a few veggies and herbs of your own. I've added a new feature on the blog, you can now enter your email adress to get a notification when there's a new blog post.
    Good luck!
    Pamela

    ReplyDelete