My very own garden beagle

My very own garden beagle
Some people have gnomes... I have beagles

Sunday 24 February 2013

Is silver beet just for the birds?

Silverbeet and its cousins chard and rainbow chard are always such attractive plants to grow. No matter what you do to them, they seem to grow healthy and strong, they don't get attacked by pests and they're loaded with all those good phytonutrients the leafy green vegetables have. But it doesn't taste as nice as English spinach and let's face it, most people tear off the big stems and feed them to their chooks. Which is great for your chooks, but why not eat it?
 
I recently harvested a giant mound of silverbeet and made this delicious filo pastry, three cheese, pine nut and silverbeet roll:

 
My husband couldn't get enough of it... and anyone who knows him is aware he's a bit of a Popeye type, so the 'spinach' went down well. This winter I think I will plant a lot more english spinach in the garden and might even try 'perpetual spinach'.

No comments:

Post a Comment