My very own garden beagle

My very own garden beagle
Some people have gnomes... I have beagles

Thursday 14 February 2013

Fig bounty

Back in September I planted a fig tree in my mini-orchard and wrote about how fast they are to establish. Well, that fig tree is twice as big now, starting to spread its limbs out in a beautiful umbrella shape and is already covered in fruit:

 
Now I'm just waiting for the fruit to ripen. In the meantime, I'm lucky enough to have a wonderful neighbour who has several varieties of fig trees on her property. It felt like Christmas when she knocked on our front door the other day with an ice cream container overflowing with freshly-picked figs. Here they are, after a very light sprinkle of brown sugar, run under a hot grill for a couple of minutes, then put on a bed of creamy plain yoghurt, topped with a drizzle of maple syrup:
 
 
They were so delicious that when I saw my neighbour out on her verge picking more fruit, I ran over to thank her for the bounty. Bless her... she sent me home with another container full! What a wonderful neighbourhood we have landed in.

No comments:

Post a Comment