My very own garden beagle

My very own garden beagle
Some people have gnomes... I have beagles

Sunday 22 September 2013

Magnificent magnolia


How amazing is this magnolia? It belongs to a neighbour of mine and it's so beautiful I had to take a photo of it a couple of weeks ago.




I didn't even know I could grow this sort of magnolia in my area of Perth. I wonder if the gardener has created the perfect microclimate on the other side of the ivy-covered fence for it? I'd love to explore the rest of his garden!
It's this time of year I promise myself that I will plant my leisure garden (the backyard, as opposed to the food garden in the front yard) with flowering deciduous trees.
From our backyard we have a view of a row of ornamental plum trees and a flowering pear planted in our neighbour's yard. Up the street is an almond tree that spreads drifts of petals up and down our street like confetti.
And of course, down the laneway is the beautiful magnolia tree. Here's a photo I took more recently of the same tree:


All these trees are losing their flowers and the greenest of green shoots are appearing everywhere, a sure sign spring is here. Now I have my heart set on planting some of these trees in my yard so that every day while I eat my breakfast I can watch their bare branches burst into bloom, watch the petals littler the ground and then watch as spring turns them green again..

No comments:

Post a Comment