My very own garden beagle

My very own garden beagle
Some people have gnomes... I have beagles

Tuesday 28 May 2013

Time to rest!

Remember my nematode problem? I can't forget it! I've been trying to 'cure' my vege bed of root knot nematodes. I planted a mass of mustard seed and let it grow for a few months, until it was just starting to flower. The other day I slashed it down. Here is my progress slashing photo:
 


After I slashed it, I dug it into the soil which I will keep it moist while it breaks down. As the mustard decomposes, it releases a gas the nematodes don't like. The slashing and digging was hard work, I'm not going to lie. I also sowed some more mustard seeds, so they can grow over the next month and I will slash and bury them as well. I spread some sheep manure and Piggypost before I covered it all up with lupin mulch.

Today I tried another remedy. Apparently the nematodes don't like molasses. So I mixed up molasses and water in a watering can and poured it over the garden bed:
 
 
 
 
I've read that the sugar can kill worms and good critters in the soils as well. To remedy that, I have some Troforte ready to spread in a few weeks to encourage the good guys back to the soil and the compost in my two compost tumblers will be ready by then as well, so that will help:
 
 
                                               

Anyway, while my garden bed and my compost have a rest, so will I! I'm off on a holidays for a few weeks so my next blog will be from the road... maybe a bit of foreign garden inspiration!

The Beagles are also exhausted from all the gardening and are looking forward to their holiday:

 
 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment