My very own garden beagle

My very own garden beagle
Some people have gnomes... I have beagles

Tuesday 20 November 2012

How to manage your rocket

There are a few tricks with rocket I've learnt over the years. It seems to sprout in about three days from seed, and while you just start enjoying the odd handful in your salads a few days a week, all of a sudden it rockets up and you have more than you know what to do with and it looks like its about to flower and go to seed.

I prefer to plant a small number of rocket seeds every three weeks or so, to get a continual supply of fresh greens. Then when the plants are up and getting too large, I do a big harvest before I pull out the old plants. Now, you could throw the rocket to your chickens, if you have them (leafy greens are an important part of their diet) or you could do what I did yesterday and make delicious rocket pesto!

Here's the recipe I used, from one of my favourite cookbooks; Eat Fresh: Cooking Through the Seasons by Annabel Langbein.


.
Rocket Pesto
Pour boiling water over 140g rocket leaves, drain, rinse under cold water (this sets the colour so it doesn't go brown so quickly)
Squeeze out water and place in food processor with:
1clove peeled garlic
3/4 cup toasted almonds
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 tsp salt
and Grinds of pepper
Purée until smooth.
Spoon into jar and pour a little oil on top to cover surface. Will keep in fridge for a week.




Or you could do what I do and freeze most of it in an ice block tray, then transfer the ice blocks to a labelled bag in the freezer for use on pizza bases, grilled chicken breast, crostini or pasta.


Don't forget, toward the end of rocket season, let one or two plants up the back of your patch go to seed, stake them up out of the way and when they dry out, collect the seeds... you'll never have to buy rocket seed again!
Right now I have a whole patch of coriander that looks like it's about to start going to seed too... so I think I'll be making another Annabel Langbein recipe for Asian-style pesto soon!



No comments:

Post a Comment